Timing Belt Replacement Recommendations

discussions specific to the 907IE
dennist
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Timing Belt Replacement Recommendations

Post by dennist »

This is for you current or past Ducati mechanics or knowledge owners. 1992 907ie, professionally serviced 6 years ago with valve adjust, new belts and a bunch of other service items completed. Bike has been ridden approximately 500-800 miles since then (6 years) and always stored in enclosed garage in fair weather climates. I am not inclined to replace the belts now since no use of the bike, no heat cycles, stretching and enclosed by cover of belts on engine. New belts sit for years on dealers shelves then installed as new belts. Not much different than sitting in an unused bike. Under these conditions I don't feel the combination of bad elements exist to require replacing timing belts at this time. Was thinking belts would be good for another 3-4K miles. Am I all wet or on the right track. Bike all original, never abused and has 15k miles on it. Thanks for your opinions.
Sheff928
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Timing Belt Replacement Recommendations

Post by Sheff928 »

I'd be inclined to do what you think.
I'd put the bike in gear every so often and move it forward without starting it so that the belts get moved around tight radii, but I wouldn't end up doing that regularly.
Belts are long lasting as long as accurately fitted in the first place. I ran my Porsche 928 on a timing belt 17 years old before I ran out of nerve and changed it. It still looked perfect...
Kindest regards,
Kevin
-----------------------------
907ie 1992
ST4s 2002
750SSie 2002
Cagiva Gran Canyon 1999
Norton Commando 750 1971