mirror question

discussions specific to the 907IE
mrinflux
year: 0

mirror question

Post by mrinflux »

Guys,

The glass mirror fell out of my mirror assembly on one of my 907ies yesterday. No problem with the mirror assembly; just a matter of adhesive giving up the ghost. I figured, "No big deal, I'll just have a mirror/glass place cut me another mirror and mount it myself." But then my Ducati friend told me that the mirrors on the 907ie are hyperbolic, slightly wide-angle, to give the rider more view. I looked at it again and it looks like a normal mirror to me, but maybe I'm wrong. He also told me that some years ago Yamaha used a hyperbolic mirror of the same size.

Anybody know the deal? Can I just go to a glass cutter and have a new mirror cut, or is the mirror a special, hyperbolic, unobtainable pain-in-the-ass Ducati thing that's gonna make my life miserable? If it is a hyperbolic mirror, anybody know anything about Yamaha using the same mirror on one of their bikes?

Thanks for the help guys.

Elton
Last edited by mrinflux on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'91 907ie (Red)
'93 907ie (Red)
'93 907ie, w/ worked engine (Red)
'07 1098S (Red)
'07 MV Agusta F41000R
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre (Wine/Black)
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: mirror question

Post by englishstiv »

Your friend is correct in as much that the glass is a standard flat piece but is of the type that makes things smaller so in effect gives you a wider field of vision - it's just a shame that your elbow, knees and stomach are the only things it shows :cry: because of were it is situated on the bike.

The easiest way to show/confirm is to place a standard mirror alongside your bike next to the other wing mirror you will appear smaller in the Paso one - it's the opposite effect that you get with a shaving mirror you know the type we all used as kids to squeeze our spots with before hitting the night clubs looking for totty???

I am pretty sure your local dealer may still be able to get you one.
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Ducati Streetfighter 955 V2
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3349&hilit=mirror+glass

Dealt with this myself not too long ago,Stock mirrors are flat. I managed to find convex ones to replace them,not the best quality but they do work and are the required 100 mm diameter. Most auto stores and Walmarts in the area have some mounted on black rotating pedistals for about 3 bucks that don't work too bad. I have also seen some chromed plastic sheet you can cut yourself for around 8 bucks looks big enough to get 2 or 3 out of it. I am still however looking for some good quality convex mirrors for my 906 with no luck so far. Rumor has it Suzuki has one but I have no idea which model or year. Here are a few I tried...........
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
injected

Post by injected »

fwiw mine has normal, flat, mirror glass and they work fine - in fact it sounds like they work better than stock as I can't see very much of myself in them...
mrinflux

Post by mrinflux »

Guys,

I wanted to find a convex mirror; otherwise the two sides wouldn't match. I finally found an old Yamaha mirror that fit and was convex. It was in a metal lollipop mirror assembly, so I ground the edge off, around the mirror, to get the mirror out and attached the mirror to the 907ie mirror assembly with two-sided tape.

Problem solved.

Elton
'91 907ie (Red)
'93 907ie (Red)
'07 1098S (Red)
'07 MV Agusta F41000R
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Really, very many automotive mirrors increase the visual shield.
It's enough you buy an automotive mirror bigger than the Paso one and make it cut by a glassworker.
So, you can see something more of your body...
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
mrinflux

Post by mrinflux »

persempre907 wrote:Really, very many automotive mirrors increase the visual shield. It's enough you buy an automotive mirror bigger than the Paso one and make it cut by a glassworker. So, you can see something more of your body.
persempre,

Yes, except that I wasn't interested in seeing more; I was interested in replacing the mirror with something identical to what was there. My goal, (which I accomplished), was to find a mirror that would be indistinguishable from the OEM mirrors. Finding, (or cutting), a round mirror to fit the 907 mirror assembly is easy; finding one identical to the OEM mirror turned out to be a bit more of a challenge.

Elton
'91 907ie (Red)
'93 907ie (Red)
'07 1098S (Red)
'07 MV Agusta F41000R