Dead Battery

discussions specific to the 907IE
93IE
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

Dead Battery

Post by 93IE »

I went for about a 100 mile ride last Saturday, and was almost back home when I stopped for a burger and a drink at the local Harley bar. Came out after lunch, and dead battery. Got the Harley shop next door to give me a boost and listened to all the quack quacks going on around me, but it was all in fun. Made it home and checked the charging system. 70 vac from the alternator at 4000 rpm, ran the check on the regulator, and the diode test was off a bit, about .3 vdc. Got a new regulator today from ElectroSport and ran #10 wire to the stator and battery. All is good once again . 14.17 VDC at 2500 rpm. Ready for this Saturday again and another ride. I should turn over 30,000 miles this weekend.

Thanks for the info found on this list,
Preston
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Re: Dead Battery

Post by Mc tool »

What sort of reg was it ? how many wires and what colour? Were they terminated ( wife wants to know if your wearing briefs or boxers) :P :lol: :lol: My reg chundered a while ago , like before I knew about this site and all the good info here , and I put a "who knows what off a japper " reg on and after learning a bit from this site I think I still have issues , battery seems to get thru a lot of water and they dont last long . The after repair figures you quote seem good to me . Do you know the make / model of reg you used ? Does it still use the charge light ?( some dont )
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
93IE
year: 1993

Post by 93IE »

I'm not sure of the brand or type regulator that failed, but I replaced it with an Electrosport ESR510.

www.electrosport.com .All terminations were soldered, and I did not use the white wire for the charge lamp. I left it disconnected. I think I'll put in a digital volt meter at some point, something that can be trusted.What is the voltage at your battery at 3000 rpms? I believe that 14.1 volts would be maximum, more than that and it would boil off the battery,

Preston
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

I think I'll put in a digital volt meter at some point,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-LCD-Digital-Vo ... 20b253ce2c

These are cheap,seem to be reliable and are not too big..............also easy hookup
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie