15 AMP Fuel Pump Relay

discussions specific to the 907IE
Fast Eddie
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

15 AMP Fuel Pump Relay

Post by Fast Eddie »

Does anyone know where I can get a 15 AMP fuel pump relay? I bought a standard (US) 15 amp relay and it doesn't work. Thanks in advance.
Ed
'93 Ducati 907ie, '01 Ducati ST4, '07 Honda ST1300A
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1992

Re: 15 AMP Fuel Pump Relay

Post by higgy »

Does anyone know where I can get a 15 AMP fuel pump relay? I bought a standard (US) 15 amp relay and it doesn't work

:?:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

you can try:
http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-sto ... 87473.html
or your local Duc dealer.

G.
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

paso750 wrote:you can try:
http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-sto ... 87473.html
or your local Duc dealer.

G.
Vielen Dank
Ed
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

btw are you sure you connected yours right ? The contacts may be different on your new one, check the wiring diagram.
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

Ed check that your relay has a 12volt coil and that youre getting voltage at the coil terminals :thumbup:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Thanks to all. I guess I should explain why I need a relay. I just bought the bike and on the test ride the bike would cut out at 5500 rpm like it hit the rev limiter. Then, while above 5500 rpm the bike would eventually stall because it wasn't getting any fuel. The previous owner already put a new fuel filter on. I would then turn the key off and then back on and the bike would fire right back up. I can ride all day without a problem as long as I don't go over 5500 rpm leading me to believe its an electrical problem.
Ed
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

have you tried new spark plugs and leads
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

907pasonut wrote:have you tried new spark plugs and leads

Yeah, I tried, or should I say a friend of mine, who went through the bike, tried it. I have a buddie that rebuilds Euro bikes and had asked him to go through the bike putting new belts on and so fourth. The stalling is a puzzle to him but when I suggested that it may be a relay he agrees that it does sound like an electrical problem. The only other factor is that on the day of the test ride it was very hot, 94 f. The last couple of days its been cool, it didn't stall but then again I didn't take it past 6K rpm.
Ed
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

you could try to fit a small digital voltmeter to the pump connections under tank to check voltage while riding, this is over my head :dunno:
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

I had a Fiat Tipo 2.0ie years ago that had similar symptoms, At a certain speed it would cut out. After taking the foot from the accellerator pedal it would run normally. At the end the mechanic figured the fuel filter was clogged as there was dirt in the tank. After replacing the filter and flushing the tank the issue was gone.
I almost think that`s more likely than a relay that works up to 5-6K rpm and then quits.
The filter is inside the tank.
The P750/906 also has a mesh filter on the inner side of the fuel tap. I don`t know though if the 907ie has this one also.

edit: sorry, I just read that you said you had the filter already changed :banghead:
93IE

Post by 93IE »

I would have to agree. There is a filter screen at the base of the fuel pump that is probably clogged. At low fuel demands it may be fine, but at higher demand may not be able to deliver. I had this very problem last year, along with a fuel pump that was shot also and would lock up intermittently. I pulled the pump and found the screen to be almost ready to come apart.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by higgy »

Your issue sounds more like a fuel supply issue,I would check the tank filter/screen and the vent hose at the rear of the tank. For some reason spiders like to crawl into these vent hoses and lay eggs in them. Blow air in the hose after removing it(don't want to blow up your tank :thumbup: ) If it has California emissions check the canister hoses as well and dont forget to check the canister as it can clod as well. It would be very unusual for an electrical issue to cause an issue related to higher rpm only.Electrical issues tend to cause problems under heavy load regardless of rpm range
BTW if the relay your got is twelve volt you must have it wired up incorrectly or you got an NC instead of an NO type Most have a terminal diagram on them but if not you can find one on the internet as well as the proper relay most likely on ebay for cheap.If I remember I got a dozen of them a while back for 10 bucks Keep us posted on how you make out and Welcome to the Ducati world :lol: :lol:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Today I went out and did about 100 miles after adding some Sea Foam to the tank and keeping under 5000 rpm. Bike ran fine until about 50 miles when the bike felt like it wasn't getting any gas. I pulled in the clutch, turned the key off then back on and waited for the fuel pump to cycle. Hit the start button and it started right back up. After another 5 miles or so the bike just died, again, I pulled in the clutch, turned the key off then on again and it fired right back up. After that there were no further issues. I did run it up once and noticed that the bike cuts out around 5800 rpms. I'm hoping that the Sea Foam will do some good and I ordered the relay from my local Ducati shop. I that doesn't work then I guess I'll pull the fuel pump out and have a look. I was warmer today, around 94 F so heat might be something too. I do agree its the fuel pump but still think it may be the relay as when you crank the throttle the more electrical current the fuel pump wants and that causing the relay to trip and that's why it resets by just turning the key off and on.

So, what are the tricks to removing the tank and the fuel pump?
Ed
samandkimberly

Post by samandkimberly »

I can't buy that the FP relay is going to reliably die at 5500k RPM - why would it do that? The fuel pump runs continuous loop against a regulator, so it's pretty much drawing the same amperage all the time, regardless of RPM. And fuel pumps don't *usually* get weak, they work or they don't.

Pull the plugs, gap them real tight (.02"), and try it out. 5500k is near peak BMEP for the engine and right where a weak ignition system might stop firing. If it improves you can concentrate on plugs/wires/coils, if it doesn't change then you've at least reduced the possibility of it being ignition related.

Sam

Fast Eddie wrote:
907pasonut wrote:have you tried new spark plugs and leads

Yeah, I tried, or should I say a friend of mine, who went through the bike, tried it. I have a buddie that rebuilds Euro bikes and had asked him to go through the bike putting new belts on and so fourth. The stalling is a puzzle to him but when I suggested that it may be a relay he agrees that it does sound like an electrical problem. The only other factor is that on the day of the test ride it was very hot, 94 f. The last couple of days its been cool, it didn't stall but then again I didn't take it past 6K rpm.