clutch chatter?

discussions specific to the 907IE
nickapaso
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1993

clutch chatter?

Post by nickapaso »

Hi again, I got a 907ie today, and am finding a few small things a little alarming. It has a new clutch and it has quite a lot of chatter, or at least I think so. I also have an '87 paso 750 which has no clutch chatter at all, it is silent. Is there anyway to fix this or is it common and nothing to be alarmed about? The clutch functions very well, and is quite grabby from a stop.
Laddie907
year: 1991

Re: clutch chatter?

Post by Laddie907 »

is it clutch chatter or gearbox noise...?

my 907 clutch and gearbox is silent but my 900SS has a noisy gear box

the gearbox noise goes away when in neutral and the clutch is disengaged

it might be accumulated dust inside the cover...easiest bet is to take it off and look...
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Chatter - clatter just a jingling noise? Sounds like a coffee can full of nails be shaken?
or
Is it very grabby/jerky when pulling away from a stop?

Does it have an open clutch cover or a fully enclosed clutch.
nickapaso
year: 1993

Post by nickapaso »

It is quite grabby when you start from a stop, and it does get quieter when you put in the clutch in neutral. But I will pull the cover and take a glance.
jomo
model: 906 Paso
year: 1989

Post by jomo »

Remove side cover and add grease to "mushroom" shaped part under side cover if it is the same as a 906. A good quality grease (outboard motor) is perfrect. In an emergency, I have used a drop of oil from the motor when I used a stick on the side of the road. I cleaned the stick first of course.
Brake late & brake hard,
jomo

Paso 906 Blue
Paso 906 Silver
Bultaco Metralla GT370 Custom
Bultaco Metralla GT250
Bultaco Frontera 250 Mk.9
Suzuki RMX250
gail
year: 0

Re: Clean stick

Post by gail »

A good clean stick is very important whilst dealing with the technical wizardry of the internally combustible energy transfer device, Great if the dogs are bored too.
Hey that Metralla with the 370 motor sounds a bit brave! What is she?, a 370 Suzi RM Motor ? or a bored out hybrid .
I've got a M23 Metralla , and a Monty Impala , probalby not relevant to this site but , love to check that 370 weapon out , Conjures up all sorts of hospital bills. Have a good one! .. marty
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I have 2 dukes, a 1990 906 paso , and a 1997 900 superlight . The paso has 67000kms and the only thing ( apart from replacing the friction plates because the friction surfaces had worn out....use the sintered ones )I have done is relpace the oil seals on the input shaft and on the driven gear as both where weeping. this was causing the clutch to be very grabby and you could see black shiney stuff ( burnt oil ) on the plates , and a useable clutch only lasted 1000kms before needing cleaned again . The paso clutch is as quiet as a mouse at all times and has minimal wear on both the clutch basket and the friction plates ( at 67000kms ). The S L is a whole different animal . replaced the whole clutch at 25000kms and it is nearly due again ( 45000kms ). It seems to suffer incredable wear at the clutch basket and the tangs on the friction plates and is noisey as all hell at idle ( honestly you would think that something was about to climb out the side of the motor ) but for all that it is a better to use clutch than the paso . I find all of this puzzling as they are very simlilar. The SL has a aluminium flywheel and a rubber cush drive in the clutch hub , but these are the only real differences that I can see .I blame then ally flywheel as the S L is a lot lumpier at idle. Easiest way to prove the fault is to remove all the clutch plates and start her up, and that should shut it up ,,, if it does get used to the idea that these motors are not a particularly quiet motor at the best of times ( the shrilling / ringing noise is the oil pump drive gear ) but , serviced correctly they are bullet proof . Hope this helps
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time