Question on what red color to use and belt changing

discussions specific to the 907IE
gpsheehan
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Question on what red color to use and belt changing

Post by gpsheehan »

I'm repainting my 92 907 and was wondering if there is a specific red I should use and where can I purchase it? Have seen a number of posts on coloring but would appreciate any guidance from our experts here.
Have already repaired the skins and sprayed the undercoating on so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

On the belts, someone suggested that I change the belts before putting in on the road again (after being laid up for 7 years). Are the parts available and how difficult is it to change them? Any instructions available?
Thanks
Gary
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: Question on what red color to use and belt changing

Post by paso750 »

Here's are some instructions: http://www.ducatisuite.com/beltchange.html
if you are unsure have it done. Guys will tell you it`s easy but everyone saying that has done it before. If you do something wrong you can damage your engine.

G.
englishstiv
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by englishstiv »

Change the belt - Period - This is really useful not sure if it is on the other thread but really helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU

Regarding paint this may may be of use to you - it is stolen from another site I hasten to add

A word of warning, not all reds are the same and you may get a slightly different shade if you just go by paint code, find a good painter and check that they can colour match!!

PPG Industries UK are in Stowmarket Suffolk tel 01449 771 775
They do not sell to end users only their approved stockists so you would need to contact them to find your local dealer and to phone them up quoting paint code, and stressing that it is for a Ducati motorcycle, and they will mix it up for you.

These are the PPG paint codes for the most common Ducati paint colours;
Red (pre 98) 473.101
Anniversary Red (’99 on) 487.111
Yellow 473.201
Metallic Grey 653.6047
Steel Grey (Silver) 223.647
Metallic Blue 291.800

And this may be of use as well as they come recommended via another forum

http://www.paints4u.com/AboutP4u.aspx
DUCATI 907ie 1992
HARLEY DAVIDSON ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC 1991
Ducati Streetfighter 955 V2
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by Tamburinifan »

On the belts, someone suggested that I change the belts before putting in on the road again (after being laid up for 7 years).
DO change belts & don`t ride before it`s done!!!
Service limit is 20 000 km`s or 2 years, whatever comes first.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Gary,

Are you in Ringwood, NJ??

Change the belts. They are readily available from any Duc dealer and if you don't know/have one nearby then call Miles at BCM in NH and he will ship the parts to you.

The belts are easy to do if you have oil change level skills. I need to update the DucatiSuite page this winter to my new precedure.

The instructions on the web site are completely correct but not the easiest way I have found to do it. Here is how I do 2V belts now:

I now use white out ( or a Sharpie marker in black if you have really good eyes) to mark the belts and pullies in 2 places. This way, you don't need to worry about getting/keeping the engine to TDC.

Pull the belts off but be careful to not scrape off the white out. Place the old belts on top of the new belts, align the teeth of the belts and transfer the marks onto the new belts.

Install the new belts making sure to align the marks on the belts and pulley. Set the tension using the allen wrench as a feeler guage. Make sure not to get them too tight.
DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog »

gpsheehan wrote:I'm repainting my 92 907 and was wondering if there is a specific red I should use and where can I purchase it? Have seen a number of posts on coloring but would appreciate any guidance from our experts here.
Have already repaired the skins and sprayed the undercoating on so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

On the belts, someone suggested that I change the belts before putting in on the road again (after being laid up for 7 years). Are the parts available and how difficult is it to change them? Any instructions available?
Good luck with the red. It's not bad if you're repainting the entire bike but to match the existing shade... I had a pro do a wonderful job on a mirror years ago, but he told me if I needed more work done on it, to bring it somewhere else! He ended up using a pink sealer covered with a tinted clear to match teh original work - similar to putting down a candy color. Again his results were excellent (and it took multiple tries to come up with the "right" match). A lot of people who say matching the red is no problem have no clue what they're talking about. I'm sure the paint codes given will result in a nice respray. I'm just as sure they will result in a not so nice match if you try using them to do spot repairs.

Belts are readily available. Instructions on how to change them are in the service manual. IMHO You need a shop manual if you are going to work on the bike yourself. At least you need one if you want good results... in fact for the 907 you need TWO mauals, the 906 manual and the 907 supplement. Websites are good resources too but should be considered extra information.

Changing the belts isn't rocket science but as mentioned you CAN screw up the engine doing it wrong. I recently heard of one guy getting the cam sprocket off by 4 teeth. I can understand being off by one. 4? No way. He's looking at a much more involved repair now. PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing. And you need to CHECK YOUR WORK before you try to fire it up. Do your marks still line up? Turn it over by hand before hitting the starter. (FWIW I also mark the belts, as mentioned above)

Not trying to sound like a hardnose or anything, but I've seen a lot of less than brilliant things being done to bikes over the years by people who don't seem to have given much thought to what they were doing... and then being surprised when the result wasn't what they imagined it would be.
-Craig
Tamburinifan
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Tamburinifan »

As I understand it, the Paso red is a very special on w colour even in the clearcoat!

Anyway, repaired small scratches w this:

IMO, it´s spot on.
Avaliable from German company Kaemna:
http://www.ducati-kaemna.de/, Ducati Rot (red) ´91.
Gert

907 I.E. -91
M900 -97
MTS 1100s -07
gpsheehan

Post by gpsheehan »

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I'll be ordering the belts tomorrow and will be
picking up the paint before the weekend so I can shoot the color coat. The belt changing
video link is especially helpful as is Jon's whiteout suggestion.
Gary
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Make sure to join the LOCAL Ducati club! www.desmoducati.org

There are at least 3 other Paso's in the group.
mrinflux
year: 0

Post by mrinflux »

gps,

A whole repaint is not as big of a deal, (especially if you're not concerned with exactly matching the original 907 Ducati red, which is a
very different, and IMHO, a much nicer, color than the modern Ducati red), but if you're trying to match existing paint, this is much
trickier. Many people have had success starting with a pink primer. Ducati used a pink primer on the original paint jobs, (get a chip in
your paint and you'll see the pink below!), and some people claim it's impossible to exactly match the factory 907 red if you don't start
with a pink primer.

The whole, "change your belt every two years," thing is a major pain-in-the -ass. I've got 3 907ies in the garage, and put very little
mileage on them. (This year, less than 200 miles between the 3 of 'em!) So it galls me to have to change the timing belts every two
years. And frankly, I'm not at all convinced that the rubber degrades so much in two years that they have to be replaced, (especially if
visual inspection doesn't reveal any obvious cracks), but the consequences of a belt break are so dire, (the 907ie is an "interference
engine," so a broken belt can result in the piston crown striking open valves, thereby destroying your engine!), that I suck it up and
replace them every two years even though they always appear fine.

And Jon's right about the Desmo club; there's a bunch of Paso owners in the club. Jon still won't give us our own category at the annual
Desmo Club Picnic/Bike Show, so we have to enter our Pasos in the "Sport Touring," catagory, along with modern ST models, (which
doesn't make any sense, doesn't work, and basically ensures that the Paso, arguably the most beautiful Ducati every made, doesn't
stand a chance, and never wins, (do I sound bitter? I'm not bitter!)), but that's a different story!

Elton
'91 907ie (Red)
'93 907ie (Red)
'93 907ie, w/ worked engine (Red)
'07 1098S (Red)
'07 MV Agusta F41000R
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre (Wine/Black)