discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

whitepaso
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Would You Buy These Tires?

Post by whitepaso »

Hi Gang,

I'd like to get your opinions on this. First the good news; I located an unused, never mounted set of 16 inch A/M59X Michelins and the seller wants US$150 for the set. Now the bad news; based on the codes on each tire, one was manufactured in 1994 and the other in 1995. The seller says they still have the Michelin labels on them. The seller is managing the sale for a friend who sold his Paso back in 2003. He was uncertain of the storage conditions but he claims they were always stored "inside" but that could also mean an unheated garage. Cold winters are a factor for the sellers location so I'd guess that's a worst case. Fortunately the seller is a retired Ducati dealer and he feels the tires are both still in rideable condition.

So here's where I need your opinions: Should I buy these?? They're older than what I'm currently riding on!

As a side note, he is also selling a good condition Pantah 600. Think he's asking about US$6,000 for it. I've seen it in person and it's in nice shape but it is a rider so it's not pristine. Let me know if anyone is interested.
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Re: Would You Buy These Tires?

Post by higgy »

" In ideal conditions, a tire may have a life expectancy that exceeds 10 years from its date of manufacture. However such conditions are rare." and the best method of testing a tire destroy the tire If your have a microscope and ultrasound you can check the area around the bead for fine cracks on the micro level first not always obvious on the macro level,inside and out.Dry rubber cracks. Cold is good, dark is good. If under close examination you find no cracks,flex the tire, the best way is to turn it inside out once or twice and check it again.no easy task for sure and it will destroy the usefullness of the tire ! Of course if you have a chemist in the family with a lab at their bequest it would be much easier to check the quality of an old tire. 10 years is the norm, 6 years is the average useful life of any tire under average conditions. Me? I would pass, it just ain't worth the chance of tread flying in any and all directions Get the picture? Just say no to cracks :mrgreen:
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
whitepaso

Post by whitepaso »

Thanks for your input. I really want to give them a good home but I just don't feel right about tires that old. This tire shortage issue is starting to take it's toll on me!

Tom :wacko:
higgy
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by higgy »

and the rest of us, there is hope read the tire threads here for info
Ducati,making mechanics out of riders since 1946
There's no problem so bad that a little fixing can't make it worse! : )
If it ain't broke keep fixin it till it is
88 750
90 906
92 907ie
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Such OLD tires are already "out of street use"(in "showroom use" surely can be used!)... Such time is too long for keep rubber in good conditions, no matter, where/how they have been stored....... I would never put such to my bike, if i use it for normal driving! But as i told, only to "show bike", then its ok! Dark cellar(wine cellar is surely best to check tires condition currently!!! :lol: :lol: ) is good place to keep tires out of sun and climate changes, but those are too old... :smoke:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
whitepaso

Post by whitepaso »

Thanks Antti. More confirmation of the right thing to do.

Maybe Mike should buy them for his studio beauty queen!!

Tom