7mm Fuel line and clamps.

discussions specific to the 907IE
nickta
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

7mm Fuel line and clamps.

Post by nickta »

Has anyone found a distributor for 7mm ID Fuel Injection fuel line? The closest I have found is 7.6mm which is a bit loose on some of the attachments. The next size down from that is 5.8mm, or even 6.5mm. Even the closest Ducati dealer only stocks by the part number, so the 907 is out of luck there. To add to the trauma, there is a 7.2mm that is suitable for inside the tank, ie: submersible in fuel, but not sure how it would go outside?

Hose clamps are a bit easier to source, though there are 2 different sizes. Plenty on eBay. Any idea what the 2 sizes are? I think the ones outside the tank are 12mm/10mm. The ones inside the tank are a little bigger from memory?

This is really doing my head in..... :banghead:

Cheers.

Nick.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 7mm Fuel line and clamps.

Post by paso750 »

Nick, 7mm fuel lines are used on VW Beetles and early Rabbits (Golf) so if you have a Volkswagen dealership around or a place that`s selling parts for old VWs you could try there.

G.
nickta

Post by nickta »

Hi All out there.

If you are planning on replacing your fuel lines, read on. If you have replaced your fuel lines, read on too.

After driving myself to the near side of insanity, I finally came up with some sort of idea of what is needed to replace the fuel lines on the 907. Not saying this is the only way, but I have just completed the job, and was a little surprised with what I found.

After calling just about anyone in Australia who might sell fuel line, the best I got was "she'llberightmate, just use normal fuel line". That was from a company that deals with Fuel Injection systems, so gawd alone know's what they have been putting out there? I eventually found a company in the UK called Advanced Fluid Solutions, Web site: http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/

They were extremely helpful. The only fuel hose that should go into a fuel tank is SAE30 R10 rated (in tank, fuel injected). All the fuel line I found around Broome was R9 rated. When I pulled the line out of the tank, it was soft and disolving. The piece at the top of the filter still had writing on it, and it was rated at R9.

The AFS version of "in tank" fuel line has an internal diameter of 7.3mm (the R9 I have is 7.9mm) and fits snuggly over all the barbed ends of all the connections through the system. I replaced all the hose clamps with Stainless steel units. I got 13mm units from AFS, which were a bit small for the job. I found a place in Oz which sells all sorts of sizes. I went with the 14mm for every connection, though I think the quality of the AFS units is a little better than the local one's. I got 2 metres of the in tank fuel line from AFS, which was enough to replace the lot, with about 8 inches left over.

The hose I pulled out from under the Air Cleaner was the original hose. The piece between the injectors and from the injectors to the pressure relief valve were rock hard.

So it is now all done, and B1 is back on the road. New filter, hoses and a dose of Sea Foam in the tank. Has the miss disappeared? Nope. Its still there, but not as savage. Just the occasional burp here and there. Does B1 go any better. Hard to say, but it goes like a Bondi Tram when given its head. I tipped about 5 litres of fuel out of the tank. There was about 4 litres of sediment floating around in it. It didn't smell too fresh either.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Nick.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

that`s interesting. More info can be found here:
https://app.box.com/s/ut9pl8qs48zin0rbwf016cal8vtybvb2

Fuel Transfer Hose (SAE J30R2),
Fuel Feed/Transfer Hoses (SAE J30 R6,7,8),
Fuel Injection Hose (SAE J30R9),
In-Tank low pressure Fuel Hose (SAE J30R10),
Low Permeation Fuel Fill and Vent (Vapor) Hose (SAE J30R11),
Low Permeation Fuel Fill and Return Hose (SAE J30R12),
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

I had the same problem when looking for the FI hose a few weeks back, most places here in Aus try to sell you the 5/16 staff, followed by the 'she'll be right mate' comment...at the end I gave up and stuck the old hoses back on...I will also look at the VW dealership and see what they say :beer:
A few years back I changed the fuel filter and internal tank hoses, I'm sure they were 5/16 submersible hoses, at least if they come off you're not risking a paso combustion :thumbup:
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

thanks Nick and thanks G for the link, I just ordered 2 metres (external only FI hose)
http://www.justkampers.com.au/n203571-7 ... -hose.html
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

I havn't looked into fuel lines as such but I do like these hose clamps
you have to squeeze them closed with a pair of side cutters( the one on the right ) and they are single use but they are strong and stainless and they stay round when closed up ... not like some worm drive jobs, and they come in 1mm increments . They were about a buck fifty each :) the top one is 12mm and the bottom 13mm
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
nickta

Post by nickta »

907pasonut wrote:thanks Nick and thanks G for the link, I just ordered 2 metres (external only FI hose)
http://www.justkampers.com.au/n203571-7 ... -hose.html
Hi Claude.

You may want to check the fuel line from justkampers. Just had a look at the link, and the product says it is R6,R7,R8 and R11 compatible. Have a look in G's list and they are not fuel injection compatible.

I have a query in to Pirtek about 7.0 to 7.4mm R9 fuel line. Will let you know how I fair? I gave them a bit of a range, so at least they have something to say no to!

Hey G. I tried looking for something that gave me a hint of what SAE30 J etc spec was. How do you do it? You find things that are near on impossible to find.

Cheers.

Nick.
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

...I think you're right Nick, this may only be standars fuel hose...oh well, I might use it for something else, I had a look at your link from the UK, but couldn't find the correct size, is your external hose braided or smooth?

Hamish, do you have a link for those clamps? I might use them on the permanent connections (fuel injectors and pressure reg) and use the other type for the tank connections.
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

Nick, all I did is google "fuel hose sae 30 r8".

According to the workshop manual the fuel pressure regulator on the 907ie is set to 3 bar. The max operating pressure of the R8 spec is 0,34MPa (for hoses <9,5mm) which according to some online calculators corresponds to 49PSI (3,4bar). R10 handles twice as much.

G.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by paso750 »

there`s a special tool for the hose clamps shown above
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

907pasonut wrote:...I think you're right Nick, this may only be standars fuel hose...oh well, I might use it for something else, I had a look at your link from the UK, but couldn't find the correct size, is your external hose braided or smooth?

Hamish, do you have a link for those clamps? I might use them on the permanent connections (fuel injectors and pressure reg) and use the other type for the tank connections.
I don't have a link but I got them from Blackwoods paykel's ( formerly Paykel Bros ) an engineering supplies outfit NZ wide :) probly active in Aus too
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

there are Blackwoods suppliers here too, I have actually used them (for different things) a few times before, their (Vic) head office is in Scoresby, just down the road :thumbup: will pay them a visit
http://www.blackwoods.com.au/about-us/b ... ations/VIC
Cheers Claude.

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress
ducbertus
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1991

Post by ducbertus »

otherwise you can try Oetiker.
http://www.oetiker.com/en/~/media/Downl ... 0154EN.pdf
they have a wide range of clamps

Bertus
nickta

Post by nickta »

907pasonut wrote:there are Blackwoods suppliers here too, I have actually used them (for different things) a few times before, their (Vic) head office is in Scoresby, just down the road :thumbup: will pay them a visit
http://www.blackwoods.com.au/about-us/b ... ations/VIC
Hi Claude.

Finally got a response from Pirtek. They could only supply R6 and R7 rated hose. Will give Cov's a call to see what they come up with.

Cheers.

Nick.