907IE vs. ST4S

discussions specific to the 907IE
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

907IE vs. ST4S

Post by Finnpaso »

Hi Guys!

As You maybe have noticed, i have bought 2002 ST4S with 20 000kms, full services, etc... from Germany to myself, so I have now 3. Sport Tourer in my home from Ducati factory. I love Pasos VERY much, but i need newer Sport Tourer to myself for long journeys to Europe.

It start to be hard to find spare parts to Pasos, so better put them to my "museum"(for my 2 boys) and start to drive ST4S.

When i look my "new" ST4S, i can see very clearly, that motorbikes are these days much more refined, what those late 80's and early 90's, when Pasos are made. Some things are going to bad: maintain is much more complicated and need near to take engine away to make FULL SERVICE to ST4S.....but cant find so nice "lines", what Tamburini make to Paso :D
Paso, is, like a beautiful woman with good, tight ass and C cup breast :thumbup:

Anyway, here are mostly guys, so horsepower and torque means a lot: ST4S have in normally condition 117hp(measured different, than earlier??), ST2 have 83hp(measuerd same way, as ST4S)907IE have 90(from crankshaft!!!, earlier method to measure), so propably 907IE have about 80hp compared to ST2 measurement. So, ST4S have about 37hp more, than 907IE, IF ST4S is in normal condition!!! Quite same weight, so front part of ST4S must feel quite light :thumbup:

Anyway i have some "goodies"already to my ST4S, like STM aluminiun clutch, Sil.Moto Titanium pipes, K & N and especially new FIM ECU, what gives about 11 hps more, than normal ECU, so there will be about 128hp in ST4S next springtime.(128 vs. 80 = 48hp difference!!!) What does that mean?

Now i WANT to hear Yur comments about my "choise"!

Was it normal way for next motorbike to choose????

Btw, i LOVE Paso's and i am "Pasoguy" rest of my life :thumbup:

Antti

Paso 750 RED
Paso 907IE RED
ST4S RED, surely!
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Hi,
I'm new on this forum.
I love Paso, and in fact I have recently bought a 907IE after to have had a Paso 906 many years ago.
It's fantastic but it's true that this bike is not like modern bikes.
But simply I love it.
Francesco
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

Missed this thread earlier - so apologise for late response. I have beeen thinking of having another Duke in the "stable" for a while myself. The 907 is everything I want from a bike but am worried that over use and lack of spares might be a problem.

This months BIKE magazine gives the ST2 a good write up, and the panniers would be very useful too!

BUT THE 907 WILL NEVER BE SOLD.
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Nice to hear commenst to my topic :thumbup: I see things close, like You: 907IE is something.....Best ever made Paso with all nice stuff, very good brakes(compared to 750 & especially 906), realible injection, 17" wheels, lot of power(if thinking early 90' Ducati), BUT i need more power and especially easier to find spare parts, more refined bike, what 907IE is.... I know, this is oneking illness this Ducati thing: First 750 Paso, what is very good looking bike with 16 rims, then 907IE, what is just that end of Paso series, BEST! Then times have passed also 907IE, now ST4S with plenty of torque and power with 2 up journeys. I love ALL my Ducatis, most that 750 Paso with high pipes(like in Superlight) :thumbup: That is REAL Paso, how Tamburini thinked it would be!

About ST2: i have driven it many times, its very close to 907IE, especially that driving position, little more torque and power, but only little. Earlier modells(97-98 had too many problems, especially with charging systems), but later are realible and good choises to Sport Touring bikes. Easy to maintain that ST2, like 907IE, only taking away those fairings are more complicated... Those panniers are good, but need inside cases to work fine!

Ps, 907IE would never been sold also here!!! :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

Couldn't agree with your more !
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

:thumbup: My sisters husband bought ST2 year 2000 with Remus cans and i have ridden that bike many times. Its very close to 907IE in many ways, but surely NOT soo GOOD looking, than 907IE is ! :D Also ST series Ducatis can be "modified" easily to look nicer, what they are. CF...... and paint! I bought my ST4S october, so cant say yet so much, cause its not yet put to street, but after next summer i am much viser and You all hear comments, but i have already some nice stuff for it(like FIM new ECU), so power is rising at least from 117HP to 128HP, what is LOT, if compared to 907IEs close 80. 48hp MUST been noticed very easily in "same weight frame", what those bikes have. :thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
beemerboy

Post by beemerboy »

Finn,

Congratulations on your ST4S purhcase! I was sad though to read your comment about Paso parts being harder to obtain. I LOVE my 907 and yes, I've noticed how parts are now no longer offered by Ducati but I'm hoping that the aftermarket supply will step in and help us out.

I recently sold one other obscure and rare bike, my '92 BMW K1 because it was to nice to ride here in Colorado. I didn't want to put it in a "museum" as you did your Paso so I sold it to a mature BMW rider who I feel will take care of it. I replaced it with a rather nasty '04 BMW K1200RS.

Anyway, I hope to keep AND ride my 907 for a few more years before I have to make a tough decision. Until then I intend to enjoy that wonderful sound it makes.......that exhaust sound that makes Harley riders go limp!

By the way, I read your post to my girlfriend - the part that compares our bikes to a woman with a tight ass and C cup. She agrees and if you saw her you'd think I'm a lucky guy!

Yea, I'm bragging! :thumbup:
Regards,
Randy
'02 BMW RT
'06 BMW K1200S
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Thanks, Beemer! :thumbup: Biggest reason for me, to go for ST, was that they have made them soooo much, that in future it is easy to find allkind stuff to ST series Ducatis. Not only very powerfull 996 engine, what is very difficult to maintain, if campared to 907/ST2 2 valve engines. Ducati have told, that they want handdle spare parts 10 years after they have sold they new modell and 907IE is about 15 years old modell, so its normal, that difficult to find spare parts to 907IE anymore. Btw, they make 4316 ST2 FIRST YEAR 1997!!! and totally amount of 907IE was only 2303 !!!!!! 907IE is RARE bike! And U know, how many Ducati come out from factory these days/year? :eek:

I have made many improvments to my Pasos, like batter electrics to my 750(added 4 relays more), high pipes without passengers footpegs, Twin headlight, 4-piston Brembos with braided steel brake lines, etc...907: more power to engine many ways, Twin headlights, 2 extra relays, nice painting, So, now they start to be, like i have allways them wanted to be, so i let them to "my museum" and start to drive dayly my ST4S. I think, it quite logical this way.... :D

Btw, DONT show all my post to Your Girlfriend, cause i have told too much here about women :funny: Anyway, if You find brown eyed redhead, who is intrested Pasos and ST4S, let me know :funny: :funny: :funny:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Fraser
model: 750 Paso
year: 1986

Post by Fraser »

Terve Antti,

I know your waiting for the weather to change (unfreeze) but it will only be once you get some kilometres under those ST4 wheels that you can make a proper assessment and comparison. Newer is not always better.
Many years ago I had a 750 Sport, the original yellow coloured bevel drive model. Had this for about 5 years before selling it when we moved to Australia. Once in Australia I tracked down a 900 GTS, as at the time this seams a great solution. It had removed all the “problems” that the Sport used to have; the ignition was electronic (not 2 sets of points to waste many hours with), valve clearances were adjusted by screw and lock nut (not shims), had a disposable oil filter so oil changes could be done at 10,000 km (not 3,000 km as the sport had no filter only a wire mesh strainer), there were filters for the carbs (not just a wire mesh stone catcher), there were many “improvements”.
However, the 900 GTS was extremely disappointing, it was heavy and slow, when compared to the Sport. When we moved back to NZ, it came with us but I sold it with no regrets. It was only some years later that I realised that I had not really built up a bond with the bike, just rode it. When owning the Sport it became an integral part of your life; 26 years later I can still remember specific rides and events. Would have it back in an instant.

Fraser.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Terve vaan!

I have read from many Ducati books comparing allkind Ducati modells, they bad side and good side and i also agree You that comapare with old "round case" 750 and 900GTS. Sometimes things are not goin right way, as U told :thumbup: BUT think 907IE and ST4S.... They have made ST series sooooo long time already and soooo many bikes, that most of they problems have faded away, like charging stuff in early ST2 series bikes, but also that very powerfull 996 engine have some problems, like very expensive/difficult to maintain, rocker surface failures(common to all 4 valvers), engine timing, when leave factory, but those all can be fixed, just same as all Paso 750 problems, like i have done to my bike, so all depends(i think!!!), do i love these bikes and maintain/play with them, or do i only drive till something goes broken and then take her to official Ducati dealer? NO, that DONT fit to me :evil: I have driven alot my sisters husbands ST2(2000) and its "better" bike in all other meanings compared to 907, but NOT in styling! So ST4S should be same looking, but i love also that 996 engine power, what 907IE dont have enough for 2 up driving in long journeys. Surely i keep all updated, when i get ST4S to street, cause i havent payed taxes from it yet.... some moths still.... :cool:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
fasterdammit
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Re: 907IE vs. ST4S

Post by fasterdammit »

Finnpaso wrote:Was it normal way for next motorbike to choose????
Antti - I couldn't resist responding to this question because I juggle a handful of bikes to answer the "what do I buy next?" question all the time.

My wife & I have to come an agreement that I can have as many bikes as I want, as long as I'm only paying for one at a time. I have a list of bikes I'd love to own - but that doesn't answer my question of "which one do I want next?"

For myself, I've always wanted something from the 916/99#/748 lineage for its styling and its place in history. I like the 999 as well, and I know that it's more comfortable and offers better performance than the previous models - but that doesn't change the desire to have one of the older models. However, after riding a friend's Suzuki DRZ400SM last summer, and seeing Ducati's Hypermoto concept bike - I could see how owning one of those would also be a blast. Add the Sport and Paul Smart Sport Classics in there, and I can't make up my mind. And there's something about BMW's K1200S that looks like a lot of fun as well. The list goes on and on ... I'll know when the time, money & opportunity all present themselves at once, I guess.

So I have noticed that it boils down to whether or not I'm feeling nostalgic, practical or just unreasonably lustful. If it's nostalgic, like I should claim a piece of history before they either evaporate, get too used up or too expensive, I think about the 748 and its larger brethren. Or Baines Racing's Supersport kit, which builds a 70's era SS using modern-day components. A PS1000 is included in this as well. From the practical standpoint, I look at the Hypermoto, should it ever see production - because I could ride that year 'round, and it would be 110% fun. I look at the BMW, too, but I know that would be 110% speeding tickets, too. Naturaly, they all fall under the 'unreasonably lustful' category, so there's no other way around that.

I think the worst choice I could make is to not buy one at all; even if after a season or two riding whatever joins my garage next - I can always go find something else. At least I'll have had the experience. :) And no, my Paso will never leave my hands either - that one is definitely here to stay. :)

jake
Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're living, either.
1988 Paso 750 #753965
1997 Monster 750
wiggs

Post by wiggs »

timing is everything. just loaded the 907 on the truck tue evening. yup, it's gone. i will miss the bike, like i miss the big valve guzzi 1000 s . great bikes both of them. really glad i had the chance to own them and alot of other bikes too. some were great while others were not so great. had i kept some of the first bikes i bought i never would have had the doe ( not like i ever had the doe anyhow, just used very creative financing sometimes) to buy some of the more interesting bikes we've had. sometimes a little pain is worth it for alot of happy.
as far as buying bikes the last 15 yrs of my married life, all melody says when i ask about a bike is "if you can afford it". seeing as we only go around once in life i want to sample as many different bikes as i can. will probably never afford a vinnie or bruff but that still leaves a bunch of neat stuff out there.
Skins
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by Skins »

:cool:

when do u pick up the classic, wiggs?
Ducman

Post by Ducman »

Ducati North America announces today the official donation to the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum of the "Iron Butt" ST4, ridden by Gary Eagan from 2000-2002 to several endurance records.

The ST4 was originally delivered to Gary Eagan by Ducati North America in 2000 as a brand new motorcycle with zero miles. It was viewed as an ideal platform for Gary to use for his record setting long distance endurance rides.

The most prestigious record Gary set on this motorcycle was a ride from San Francisco to New York City, which he did in an astonishing 36 hours and 57 minutes. After accomplishing that monumental task, Gary used the ST4 to compete in approximately 10 endurance competitions of 24 hours or longer, winning nine of them.

When asked about the durability of his Ducati, Gary stated, "The bike had one mechanical problem, a broken engine bolt when 92,000 miles rolled around. It was ridden hard and performed far better than one might imagine, considering the abuse I gave it. I also rode the bike throughout Alaska, parts of the Haul Road and Top of the World Highway (all dirt), down through Chicken and on to Tok. That is the machine that really popped my eyeballs out of my skull when it came to enjoying long distance riding."

Ducati chose the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum as an ideal home for this motorcycle due to its prestigious collection and appreciation of the Ducati brand. A presentation to hand over the keys will be held at the museum this Saturday, April 21st, during the lunch break from the AMA Superbike races.
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Finnpaso »

Ducman wrote:The bike had one mechanical problem, a broken engine bolt when 92,000 miles rolled around.
:thumbup: Those engine bolts are "weak point" of all 4 valver ST modells and in some ST 2 also and they changed to use bigger bolts in later modells, so its fixed now, but surely have to check those bolts sometimes.... I think, its normal maintain operation... Those big twins "shake" they engines quite alot, so surely bigger engine needs more attension... Its something, like too weak sylinder head bolts in earlier (91-98) 900 SS modells. Not in all bikes, but some...

:thumbup:
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
ST2 -01 red/metal grey