Buying a 907 I.E.

discussions specific to the 907IE
Guzzi_Jim

Buying a 907 I.E.

Post by Guzzi_Jim »

I have the opportunity to buy a non-running 1992 907 for $2K USD. The bike has about 40K on the clock and a dent in the tank. The problem with the bike is said to be a bad fuel pump and problems getting parts for the repair. The plastic is off the bike and is said to be in okay condition, but I haven't seen it.

I looked up the NADA value of the machine and found a low retail value of $2,215. Since the bike I'm looking at is non-functional I'm guessing the value would be less than that. Would a lower offer be in order or is the bike under-valued as it is?

Having no experience with this model I was wondering:

1. How difficult is it to get parts for the 907?
2. Who are the best parts sources?
3. Can a person with reasonable mechanical skills work on these machines?
4. Are shop manuals readily available for the 907?
5. What problems should I anticipate with this model with the current mileage it has on it?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have to offer.

Jim

Post by 1564 »

:toofar: i purchased a 91 907ie in reportly excellent condition with 18,000miles and no reported problems thru ebay....i spend $5,000 on purchase of bike with no dinks,dent or other paint issues, looked perfect with maintence log etc. any way i spend over $2,000 in tires fluids value adjustments belts wiring up grades and now the final maintence correction is the adjustment of fuel ijection as it is running way to lean causing back fire...also had to fix/weld broken front tank mounting bracket...could have been worst as new tank is $1,600 to replace....all to sayi love the bike and it is sporty but can be a touring ride for up to 3 hours very comfortable, i never had a duc before and i enjoyed it so much i pick up a 90 851 superbike in mint cond. with 2k...they all are parked with bmw k bikes...i wanted something different than bmw and the duc is that...total different...i would look long and hard and fine as new condition 91-93 907ie pay the as new price and you will be dollars ahead...my 851 has no problems and has not costed 3k-4k to get it up to factory spec. my recomm.only
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

I'd stay away or offer 1K (maybe that's too much) for it depending on the condition of the bodywork. A non running bike can have soooo many hidden problems.
DesmoDog
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1991

Re: Buying a 907 I.E.

Post by DesmoDog »

Guzzi_Jim wrote: 1. How difficult is it to get parts for the 907?
2. Who are the best parts sources?
3. Can a person with reasonable mechanical skills work on these machines?
4. Are shop manuals readily available for the 907?
5. What problems should I anticipate with this model with the current mileage it has on it?
1. Depending on which part, it can be anywhere from trivial to near impossible. Mirrors are bad. Engine parts are (typically) good.

2. I haven't had to buy anything for my 907 lately so I'm not even sure who the best source is.

3. Yes, about the only thing I'd be nervous about workign on is the fuel injection, and that's because electrickery and I don't get along well.

4. Shop manuals are out there, but not cheap. You have to buy both the 906 and 907 manual to get fll coverage. They show up on eBay now and then, so you might get a set inexpensively. Otherwise I'm guessing they'll run you around $100 for the set? Haven't checked lately...

5. The tank may be cracked at the front mount. That's about all I can think of other than the typical issues with a 14 year old bike. You'll want to change the fuel filter and do the normal maintanence, i.e. check the valves, change the belts and fluids, etc.

Not sure if you should buy this bike. A lot depends on your personality. I happen to like rebuilding lost causes so for me it'd be in better shape than I'm used to. Some like to buy a bike and ride it off into the sunset. Hard to say what this one will cost to fix, but a decent 907 can bring $4k or more these days. Depending on the condition of the bodywork, it might be a good deal. How daring are you? ;-)

Seems to me it's getting hard to find a decent V-twin Ducati for under $2k these days...
-Craig
pencilbeam
year: 1992

Re: Buying a 907 I.E.

Post by pencilbeam »

The problem with the bike is said to be a bad fuel pump and problems getting parts for the repair. [quote]

Fuel pumps and starter motors are hard to come by these days and therefore real expensive. Look up the parts on:

http://www.powersportspro.com

They list all parts for the 907 with prices but many are unavailable.
Some parts (like brakes) interchange with other models but you would have to put some effort into sourcing.[/u][/list]
mrinflux
year: 0

non-running 907

Post by mrinflux »

unless ur in it for the love of restoration projects, i'd stay away from this 907. they're not common, but if ur patient u can find a used 907 with much lower milage on e-bay, craig's list or here, for about 4,000. in fact, there's one for sale right now at this web page in the classified section. plastic for the 907 is hard to come by and expensive, so if u can buy this non-running 907 for under a thousand, buy it as a parts bike in case u ever drop the running 907 i recommend u buy. and i recommend u buy a 907 with every bone in my body!! i've been riding for 30+ years, first on japenese dirt bikes, and then later on japenese sport and cruiser bikes. i drove a 907 for the first time last summer. now i own 2. yes, my 1100 kawasaki will smoke it. but there's no comparason. i haven't started the 1100 once since i bought my 907. no contest. not even close. buy one, u'll never look back. good luck!
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

the bosch p/n is 0 580 463 999 for the fuel pump THIS will replace the weber pump in the 907's tank(there is one like it in mine since april 2004)only difference(at least physically)was a bigger hole in the bottom where the fuel is pulled in.
It fit right in the internal bracket/rubber mount perfectly.(mine was 171.00 from http://www.rockauto.com)

As far as the rest of it,well i guess its whatever you think its worth.

see my pics in the gallery of the condition mine was in when i found/bought it in january 2004 for 2000.00$

most of the plastic is probably "unobtainium" and the water hoses may also be nonexistant(i have a spare for all but one of mine,it never came from powersportspro)however a little creativity with some pipe and some silcone hose could probably result in a hose that while not pretty would ultimately do the job.
Timing belts/oil filters/spark plugs/air filters are all available.
Dont know about other ignition parts such as coils/ignition modules etc.

One thing i do know is this old bike '92 brings a grin to my face every time i ride her

doug
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
DesmoDog
year: 1991

Post by DesmoDog »

Stingray230SX wrote:most of the plastic is probably unobtainium"
For the factory stuff, probably. But there are aftermarket body parts out there. Airtech carries about everything for them.
-Craig
Stingray230SX

Post by Stingray230SX »

thats right!!! i had their site bookmarked on my other computer,but a motherboard failure has me using a backup right now!!! i had to search the yahoo archives just to find my old post with the bosch p/n..(i had posted it on the parts interchangability site,but that was down last nite when i was here posting)

doug
1992 907ie #1473 Nero SOLD
1997 Vmax Nero-Blue Flames SOLD
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

I've owned many bikes but nothing compares to the 907. I swopped a CBR600 for it with a member of the family last year, he missed it so much he's just bought another one. So that's two in the family.

To me the 907 and the other Paso's and the 851 are the best looking bikes on the planet, the ride is still great and when you are parked up having a beer everyone wants to talk about the old red one in the pub car park!

$2000 for a non runner seems expensive though.

I am sure Finnpaso will have some thoughts though!

Good luck :thumbup:
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
Guzzi_Jim

Post by Guzzi_Jim »

Thanks for all the helpful comments on the 907. I'm currently waiting for specifics on the problem/s with the bike. I enjoy a restoration challenge and am well aware of the potential quagmires that may (probably) await on this one. I'm thinking that an offer of $1K would be fair. That would allow me to get in cheap and spend another $4K on it and then have it be worth $3K. Passion often overshadows common sense and I'm sort of feeling like the moth flying around the flame on this one. Damned Italian motorcycles!!!

I'll let you know of the final outcome and will let you all know where this machine is available if I don't buy it in case someone else wants to pursue it.

Again, your comments have been very helpful. It's really nice to have a resource like this to turn to when needing information and advice. Thanks!

Jim
Rogero

Post by Rogero »

It's a very useful and friendly message board for all those struck down with Italian Bike-itis.

Welcome on board.
Rogero
1992 "Red" 907 I.E.
2006 Harley-Davidson Dyna FXDBI (Street Bob)
Guzzi_Jim

Post by Guzzi_Jim »

We're getting sort of close to the short storkes on this one. Additional information I received inidcates that in August 03 this bike is reported to have gotten:

- a new fuel pump
- new water hoses
- a new battery
- a new computer
- new plugs
- a new "sleeve" (?)

It is said to have less than 10 miles on all of the above items having fallen over and denting the tank, it was then given up for dead by its owner. The more I hear, the less risky this sounds regarding getting it back to a functional condition. Unfortunately, the voices I'm hearing are probably "famous last words"...

It sounds to me like this could be an easy bike to bring back to life if all of the above is true. How hard will it be to diagnose the problems with the beast? Spark and fuel supply are the basic commodities it needs to run, but both are controlled by a computer/s. Do I need professional (motorcycle!) help to assess possible electronic problems or can I figure out them on my own? Any suggestions on a basic trouble shooting procedure to follow to would be appreciated. I am a bit intimidated by the electronic complexity I perceive exists here. Any calming words of advice and ecouragement gained from your personal experience would cetainly be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by persempre907 »

Hi,
the computer is very, very expensive and perhaps hard to find!!!
I remember that I have seen only one on ebay (used) and the seller wanted €. 1.200, about $. 1400.
I think is better you wait and you could find one better than this.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
Finnpaso
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 0

Post by Finnpaso »

Rogero! My taughts? Ok, at least i can say, that chicks like Red Ducati Paso VERY much :laugh: ...there are many of them looking my Paso in cafeteria street, no matter, where i have my cup of coffee, like fliers in junkyard! :funny:

Ps. One time Pasoman, ever Pasoman :thumbup:
Antti http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeKOh3XoXPg&NR=1
KTM 990 Adventure -08 metal dark grey
Paso 750 -89 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red/metal grey
907IE -91 red
2xST4S -02 red/metal grey
ST2 -01 red/metal grey
Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel Classic/titanium