906 starting problem

discussions specific to the 906 Paso
romus
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

906 starting problem

Post by romus »

I have a 1990 Ducati Paso 906 that has starting problems. I would appreciate any ideas as I have only had this bike for two months. I love it. I pulled a bike apart 20 years ago, but dont feel I really know anything about motorbike parts and electrics.

It was running fine and rode it a little in the wet and parked. Later in the evening when I tried to start it, the console lit up but no turnover of the engine. The next day I wiggled wires and checked the fuses - looked like one was gone, which I replaced and it started. I thought great, that was it, but then next time I went to start it same thing - console lit up but no turnover. I tried a jump start from a car battery (car not running) connected and the same problem, so I figure it's not the battery. Then on another try it turned over and fired up. I figure it is an electrics issue.

When it fires up, just before, when the key is on, I can hear a ticking noise somewhere under the tank. when it is not working, there is no ticking noise. Is this the starter motor? Any ideas? what do I do?

Any help much appeciated.

warwick
Last edited by romus on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Re: 906 starting problem

Post by paso750 »

the ticking noise when the ignition is switched on is the fuel pump on the left side below the tank.
For the rest check the search function of this forum. Starting problems were often discussed. Ie.
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic. ... g+problems

Your issue sounds also like the starter solenoid.

G.
ducatipete
year: 1991

Post by ducatipete »

If you need a new starter, it will be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand one from a later bike ie 748, starter is same part number, just check...
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

With Italian electrics it be anywhere of a dozen places that can cause the problem. But the fact that your fuel pump does not run when you turn the key on is a big hint.

1st, check and clean all ground wires. All of them. Yes it's ugly work but it is 100% needed.
2nd, turn the key to on and see if the pump runs, if not, jiggle the key or try turning it slightly back and forth to see if it makes contact. You can dissassemle the switch to clean it. This is a common problem.
3rd, with the key on, flip the run/stop switch to see if that's dirty and not making contact.

Report back with your findings and we can continue the search!
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

I can`t remember, do the lights still come on if the ignition switch is defect ?
If flipping the run/stop switch will fire up the bike while pressing the start button this may also indicate towards the starter solenoid. In my own case it did.
romus

Post by romus »

jcslocum wrote:With Italian electrics it be anywhere ...
1st, check and clean all ground wires. ...
2nd, turn the key to on and see if the pump runs, if not, jiggle the key or try turning it slightly back and forth to see if it makes contact. You can dissassemle the switch to clean it. This is a common problem.
3rd, with the key on, flip the run/stop switch to see if that's dirty and not making contact.
Report back with your findings and we can continue the search!
I cleaned all the grounds I could find.

When cleaning the battery connections, a black wire, that goes from the battery negative pole to the Electronic ignition control unit, dropped off at the battery connection point. I rebuilt that connection. Possibly because it dropped off, it was already a very weak connection. Would that wire explain the sporadic cutting off and on of the fuel pump?

I dont know whether these things fixed it or because the bike dried out - the fuel pump is ticking now when I turn the key on.

Warwick

PS thanks for your help guys.
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

Did you clean the one on the back of the engine (if there is one)??

You found a bad wire so if you fixed it , it may be the answer. Good luck!
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by Mc tool »

Have a good look at the molux ( multi pin ) connector that connects the right hand switch block to the main harness ,poor contacts here will cause the problem you describe
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
romus

Post by romus »

Mc tool wrote:Have a good look at the molux ( multi pin ) connector that connects the right hand switch block to the main harness ,poor contacts here will cause the problem you describe
Yes, I openned any pin connectors I could find and sprayed with contact cleaner.

Starting well now. Thanks all.
Last edited by romus on Sun May 17, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warwick - on a learning curve and on a
Ducati Paso - Soul of a thoroughbred :P
f1steveuk

Post by f1steveuk »

Uk prices for new starters are HUGE! The Nippon Denso number looks like it fits nearly the whole range, so I contacted a British Superbike team, because the first thing they do to race bikes, is take off the starter. The guy at the team I called said, " I have a shelf full of them, how many do you want?" I asked how much, he said £25 (British) and he sent me three!!!! Still haven't fitted it because I'm still getting up the courage to take the engine side cover off, I bet my flywheel hasn't got a hole in it..........................
Blue1990Paso

Post by Blue1990Paso »

This happened to my bike, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. It would be worth your while to check the connector on the right side of the bike in front of the tank, and below the triple tree. Mine can come unplugged partially, and now that I know I keep an eye on it. It runs to the starter switch. If you peek down in front of the tank, you may see the connector Im talking about. Worth a shot.
Blue1990Paso

Post by Blue1990Paso »

This happened to my bike, and I couldnt figure out what was going on. It would be worth your while to check the connector on the right side of the bike in front of the tank, and below the triple tree. Mine can come unplugged partially, and now that I know I keep an eye on it. It runs to the starter switch. If you peek down in front of the tank, you may see the connector Im talking about. Worth a shot.