88 limited gearbox final drive noise?????

discussions specific to the 750 Paso

Moderators: paso750, jcslocum

Johnnie

88 limited gearbox final drive noise?????

Post by Johnnie »

my limited has been giving me fits for awhile. symptoms as follows squeky noise at road speed (final drive output shaft speed???) it will make the noise with the clutch out but it gets worse when you hold the clutch in, I can repeat the noise on the center stand while I am right next to it and it sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine possibly from the final drive output shaft area but not 100 percent sure, its pretty loud, very annoying and gotta be leading to worse things down the road. any ideas?????
John
Brutus
model: 750 Paso
year: 1989

Re: 88 limited gearbox final drive noise?????

Post by Brutus »

In recent posts I've mentioned the bronze bushing in the gearbox. It's in the second gear just next where the front sprocket is fitted. If this is the case, driving on can cause damage to the second gear. You should have noticed this while shifting gear (less smooth).

cheers! Léon

Post by Johnnie »

I havent experienced any problems shifting, just the noises. It sure sounds internal and unfortunatley I dont have the time or money to dive into this kind of a project, If I cant find a magic wand for this one the duck may have to go John
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1988

Post by jcslocum »

So, with the bike in gear, the rear brake on (wheel not turning) AND the clutch in, you get this noise??

Pull the clutch cover and look at the button and bearing.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

yes Im pretty sure it does although I cant remember if I tried that specifically. I recently installed a new clutch and everything seemed alright. I will open the clutch back up and check thinkgs out again. if I dont see anything obvious I will probably take it to one of the local ducati shops and see if they can bless or condemn my baby
Mc tool
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 906 Paso
year: 1990

Post by Mc tool »

jcslocum wrote: Pull the clutch cover and look at the button and bearing.
Thats where my money is too . if you need I can find the skf part # for the wee seal in the slave piston , BUT If any one has a better idea , Im all ears as mine is getting a bit stuffed again
I wish I was young again............Id be heaps smarter than last time
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Mc tool wrote:
jcslocum wrote: Pull the clutch cover and look at the button and bearing.
Thats where my money is too . if you need I can find the skf part # for the wee seal in the slave piston , BUT If any one has a better idea , Im all ears as mine is getting a bit stuffed again
Check the FAQ for this info.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

OK its saturday morning and I pulled the Duck out of the garage for further trouble shooting. I opened up the clutch cover..... the button seems OK when I turn it it turns freely but it does feel a little gravely (if thats a real word) now when I put it back together and run it in gear it makes a little noise with the clutch out and a lot more noise with the clutch in..... if I put on the rear brake at this point to stop the rear wheel the noise stops. with body work off and my head down by the spinning parts it really sounds like its coming from the clutch, my next question is should the throwout bearing be glass smooth? it turns freely but also feels a little rough. At least I'm feeling more like this might be fixable and affordable.. thanks for all the help so far John
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Thge bearing should be smooth as glass. No gravel or rough feeling to it at all. The button spins in it at engine spped so it can make plenty of noise. There should be info in the FAQ about the bearing (rollerskate) and seal. Not a hard fix at all. You definately want to get it fixed becasue the button is unobtanium.
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

I got the bearing coming but cant quite figure out the seal, do you have that p.n. handy. also I assume to remove I just remove the clutch cover and start pumping the clutch intil it all pops out of the cover???? John
ducapaso
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducapaso »

Yes. Then clean it carefully and drain correctly
have a nice ride, Nicola

Black "DUKE" 751582
ex...Red "smooth" 753349 :-(
Desmo_Demon
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1987

Post by Desmo_Demon »

jcslocum wrote:You definately want to get it fixed becasue the button is unobtanium.
But.....The button is an easy part for a machinist to make on a lathe. There is a diagram of its dimensions in another thread on this site. (but you knew that already, Jon :mrgreen: ).
2002 Ducati 748 monoposto
1998 Ducati ST2
1996 Suzuki GSXR-1100
1994 Bimota DB2
1988 MegaPaso 916 project
1987 Ducati Paso 750
1985 Harley FXEF
2001 Ducati M900ie (wife's)
2000 Yamaha YZF-R1 (wife's)
1998 Ducati ST2 (wife's)
1994 Suzuki GSX-750R (wife's)
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

Info on the seal:
http://forums.ducatipaso.org/viewtopic.php?t=676

It's better to fix the slave before the pin is shot than find a place to make it.....
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

now for the 64K question I have everything apart to install the new bearing but........ how does the button come out of the bearing????? the bearing is pressed into the piston and it appears the button is pressed into the bearing, I cant see a way of getting the button off without damaging it. Is it possible that the button is just stuck from being in there so long???? should I soak it in something or just pry on it a little harder????? I know from previous postings that the button should be treated like a god....... any ideas????
jcslocum
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by jcslocum »

It's a slight interference fit. Use some lube and just work it out.