New To The 750

discussion about the 750 Sport and '89/'90 900SS, which share many mechanicals with the Paso series
dtm79

New To The 750

Post by dtm79 »

Hi all bought a 750 sport some time ago and have decided to get it back on the road .. It looks to be in very good original condition and is the red/silver variant. Am looking to change the 16'' wheel and are interested in any other common mods ... Any ideas/suggestions on the way forward ... Cheers
jpitz31
model: 750 Sport
year: 1990

Re: New To The 750

Post by jpitz31 »

Hello dtm79,

Welcome, I did the 17" wheel conversion. I picked up a set of 900ss wheels with rotors and brake calipers. I had to do a bit of spacer changing on the rear axle, but the wheel mounted right up. The front axle called for a bit of modification.

I had to turn a bit of material off of the center axle and had a set of brake caliper brackets made. I believe that Bevel Heaven sells the caliper brackets and I have found, by searching on the web that others have published the plans to make your own caliper brackets.

I had to use spacers to raise the front fender. I also had to raise the kick stand a bit higher. by bolting on a block of aluminum to the bottom.

Check you front brake master cylinder, There are numbers on the bottom. If you have a 15mm master cylinder you should upgrade to a 16mm master cylinder. I believe that the 907 has a 16mm master cylinder. Do a search here on the forum. Search on ebay for a used master cylinder or Bevel Heaven sells them. I just bought one from them.

Cheers

Joe
1990 Ducati 750 Sport (mine)
2007 Piaggio BV 500 (mine - daily driver)
2008 Piaggio MP3 500 (wife's)

My Ducati Blog site
http://projectducati.blogspot.com/

Stupidity is not a crime, your are free to go ;-)
persempre907
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

Post by persempre907 »

Yes, the 907 has a 16" front master cylinder.
But, I updated mine with a Brembo half-radial 19" and I'm very happy since.
Ciao
Francesco
Ducati 907IE 1992 Rosso
Ducati 907IE 1993 Nero
Moto Guzzi Galletto 1960 Sabbia
BMW R Nine t 2019
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Updating the suspension on the Sport is a well worthwhile project, and 17" wheels are certainly central to that.

As joe says, the back of the 750 Sport is easy. Just buy an entire wheel assembly from a 750 (4.5"rim) or 900 (5.5"rim) from a SS or Monster series bike from 91 to 98 , or later. They all use the 17mm axle and have the same swingarm spacing and brake stop pin. Get the entire wheel assembly. Sprocket, carrier, wheel, brake hanger, and caliper and rotor. You may need to update your rear brake master to match the new caliper in back, or not.

The front is more complicated. You can find SS and Monster wheels that have 17mm axles (some have 20mm), but the spacing with the speedo drive makes things a project. Then there's the brakes. Newer models have 320 rotor, which are nice, but your calipers won't fit up to them. You need new calipers. The favorite is the 4 piston Brembos with 40mm or 65mm spacing. You need to make an adapter to make the newer calipers to fit your older forks. Its a lot of fitting and measuring and machining. There is no off the shelf kit, but you might find someone who makes the brake adapters.

A better course is to put an entire new front end off a SS or Monster. (forks, triple clamps, wheel, brakes, clipons et all) Considering all of this, buying a non running bike is good option. If you find one for $1500 or so, you have all the parts you need, and you can sell of the other stuff, and have spent about $500 -$1000. You get modern rubber, much better forks, great brakes, and a bike that doesn't stand up in the corners if you apply the brakes. All good things.

Be aware that some SS and Monster forks were fully adjustable, and some were not. If you don't want all the adjustability, then the parts will be cheaper, and visa versa.

One added point, the 900ss shock is a 1/4" (6mm) longer than the 750 SS or Sport's shock, and fits right in. This helps to quicken the steering, and makes the bike much more nimble. I highly recommend it. Of course, if you get an aftermarket shock, they have adjustable lengths, so you can tune it to your liking.

Search this forum for 17" conversion, and you will get much more input and pointers.
The conversion of the Paso front end is the same as the Sports. The Paso has a different swingarm, so changing the rear on a Paso is more difficult.

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1990 750 Sport x2-Rosso Blanko (900ss copy) & Nuovo Nudo (Scrambler project)
1991 907 -mostly stock
2002 ST4s - Lots of mods.
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

A better course is to put an entire new front end off a SS or Monster.
Do the forks have the same lengths ?! I know the SS fork is a few cm shorter than the one of the Paso.

G.
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

Several people have done it, so I am assuming so. I have Paso forks on my Sport and have slide them up in the triples 15mm. The Sport can stand a bit steeper rake anyway. Its pretty slow steering in stock form. (which makes it rock stable at speed)
Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock
paso750
paso grand pooh-bah
model: 750 Paso
year: 1987

Post by paso750 »

Several people have done it, so I am assuming so
That doesn`t say much. I notice a lot is done by just trying and w/o thinking much about about actual changes. :)
ducinthebay
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by ducinthebay »

There are two well documented instances that I know of where a 900ss front end was put onto a Sport.
One who did it was Steve at LoudBikes,(http://loudbike.blogs.com ) and another was Michael, a local Ducati mechanic who teaches at WyoTech, so I trust them more than the average joe. I personally have not measured the two to be able to tell you the difference. Travel is similar. If you have some measurements to add to the discussion we would appreciate them.

I can tell you the stock M1BB fork for the Sport is very basic. The M1R is a huge step up, and newer forks are much better again.

I agree, that you need to match the lengths, or at least be aware of what the difference in length will do to the handling. In the case of the Sport, sliding the forks up in the clamps helps it a lot, especially on the street.

The only problem that I have experienced is that the 907 fender I am using will catch on the inside of the fairing on tight high compression corners, and will start to eat at the edge of the fairing. Using a 900ss fender would eliminate this problem. (its shorter in back)

Cheers,
Duc in the Bay
1991 907 -mostly stock