PETROL TANK PUMP AND FILTER

discussions specific to the 907IE
richard
model: 907 I.E.
year: 1992

PETROL TANK PUMP AND FILTER

Post by richard »

I need to change my fuel filter, rubber pipework and clean my fuel pump to guarantee max performance. These items are inside the petrol tank. Has anybody tried to do this? Do you need fingers like knitting needles or should I leave this to an expert?

Just been reading about RED LINE S1-2 fuel system cleaner. There is a YOU Tube on its effect. This could save me a lot of bother. What do you think?

RICHARD
Derek
paso grand pooh-bah
year: 1994

Re: PETROL TANK PUMP AND FILTER

Post by Derek »

I changed the filter in mine at the start of the year, it's not too difficult Richard. It's best done with the tank near empty. Undo all the screws retaining the filler cap and remove it along with the rubber gasket, this will give you reasonable access. You should now be able to undo the clips on the rubber hoses to the filter and with a bit of manipulating withdraw the filter. Getting it back together with the new filter is more or less the reverse process and don't forget to refit the filler drain hose which is inside the tank and attaches to the bottom of the filler assembly.

Good luck.
1994 907ie
2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)

Scotland
richard

Post by richard »

Derek wrote:I changed the filter in mine at the start of the year, it's not too difficult Richard. It's best done with the tank near empty. Undo all the screws retaining the filler cap and remove it along with the rubber gasket, this will give you reasonable access. You should now be able to undo the clips on the rubber hoses to the filter and with a bit of manipulating withdraw the filter. Getting it back together with the new filter is more or less the reverse process and don't forget to refit the filler drain hose which is inside the tank and attaches to the bottom of the filler assembly.

Good luck.

Thank you for the encouragement Derek. I'll give it a go. As I have to visit London and Leeds it'll be a week or two before I do the job but I'll report back.
nickta

Post by nickta »

G'day Richard.

I did the remove the fuel pump thing not that long back. It was a learn while doing it thing, so I made the odd mistake here and there. I only had a about 2 or 3 litres of fuel in the tank. From memory:

Disconnect the battery.
Remove the Fuel cap and Surround.
Disconnect the breather that connects to the Surround. (I gave this breather a blast with air in a can to make sure it wasn't blocked).
Disconnect the short hose that goes from the outlet of the filter to the metal pipe it connects to.

Memory not good here, but there is another breather to disconnect, or it might be the hose to the De-gassor?

Unclip the the connections to the pump where they go out of the tank. They were spade connectors on my 907, so should just slip off. The other option is to undo the nuts on top of the pump, but be aware the chance of dropping the nuts and washers in the tank!
The pump is held in its bracket by clips. A twist to the left (or right) unclips it.
The whole lot (pump, filter, hoses etc) should all come out through the hole.

Reverse the process to replace it all.

While I had this all apart, I relocated the filter to outside of the tank, and put a longer piece of hose inside the tank where the filter was. Makes it easier to change in the future, but don't forget there will be two extra places for a hose to pop off and spray fuel on a hot engine and exhaust! I put a piece of HD foam rubber between the filter and a frame tube and a couple of cable ties to hold it all in place.

If the above doesn't make sense, drop another post and I will give it another go. Jog the memory and all that.

Oh, make sure you use fuel hose that can be submerged in fuel. Not all fuel line can.

Cheers.

Nick.
richard

Post by richard »

nickta wrote:G'day Richard.

I did the remove the fuel pump thing not that long back. It was a learn while doing it thing, so I made the odd mistake here and there. I only had a about 2 or 3 litres of fuel in the tank. From memory:

Disconnect the battery.
Remove the Fuel cap and Surround.
Disconnect the breather that connects to the Surround. (I gave this breather a blast with air in a can to make sure it wasn't blocked).
Disconnect the short hose that goes from the outlet of the filter to the metal pipe it connects to.

Memory not good here, but there is another breather to disconnect, or it might be the hose to the De-gassor?

Unclip the the connections to the pump where they go out of the tank. They were spade connectors on my 907, so should just slip off. The other option is to undo the nuts on top of the pump, but be aware the chance of dropping the nuts and washers in the tank!
The pump is held in its bracket by clips. A twist to the left (or right) unclips it.
The whole lot (pump, filter, hoses etc) should all come out through the hole.

Reverse the process to replace it all.

While I had this all apart, I relocated the filter to outside of the tank, and put a longer piece of hose inside the tank where the filter was. Makes it easier to change in the future, but don't forget there will be two extra places for a hose to pop off and spray fuel on a hot engine and exhaust! I put a piece of HD foam rubber between the filter and a frame tube and a couple of cable ties to hold it all in place.

If the above doesn't make sense, drop another post and I will give it another go. Jog the memory and all that.

Oh, make sure you use fuel hose that can be submerged in fuel. Not all fuel line can.

Cheers.

Nick.

That's great Nick. Thanks for the detail. Right now I'm just going to change the filter. After that I may add a fuel injector cleaner into the tank. Forte or Red Line product has been suggested. As I'm on my travels for the next 10 days I'll report back on my return.
RICHARD
richard

Post by richard »

richard wrote:
Derek wrote:I changed the filter in mine at the start of the year, it's not too difficult Richard. It's best done with the tank near empty. Undo all the screws retaining the filler cap and remove it along with the rubber gasket, this will give you reasonable access. You should now be able to undo the clips on the rubber hoses to the filter and with a bit of manipulating withdraw the filter. Getting it back together with the new filter is more or less the reverse process and don't forget to refit the filler drain hose which is inside the tank and attaches to the bottom of the filler assembly.

Good luck.

Thank you for the encouragement Derek. I'll give it a go. As I have to visit London and Leeds it'll be a week or two before I do the job but I'll report back.

See my top end submission. Bike is cured
richard
907pasonut
paso grand pooh-bah

Post by 907pasonut »

nickta wrote:

Nick.
hi nickta, what you've done makes sense...but... someone else suggested on a previous post to leave the fuel filter in the tank, as with the heat from the motor plus high ambient temp, which im sure can get very warm up your neck of the woods, the heat can vaporize the fuel in the delivery line (the metal filter has a large surface area to gain heat) and cause problems, if the filter is submerged in the tank this scenario is less likely to happen
Cheers Claude.

...long live the square framed duc!

'92 907...numero 2046
'92 851...in progress